Some patients love to plan. It’s important for them to prepare and have a strategy when they are embarking on a project. If you are that type of person, you can get ready for your first visit with me in a few easy ways.
April showers bring May flowers. Fortunately, there are plenty of great medicinal flowers that you can easily plant this gardening season. Whether in a pot on your balcony or in a backyard, these herbs are easy to maintain and can provide your family with fresh medicinal botanicals.
The political movement “Black Lives Matter” has been trying to highlight the differences in the way Black people are treated by law enforcement. In my day to day work I see a different racial disparity, one of health. Concerns that are unique to Black people are not as well researched or treated. Nowhere is this more obvious to me than Black females and their hormonal health. Years of painful periods culminate in hysterectomies all too often. The underlying cause of hormonal imbalance is not well addressed and rarely named. Estrogen dominance is the problem and it affects Black women in record numbers unbeknownst to them.
In family and friend relationships, not being heard is frustrating and hurtful. In a medical setting it can be life threatening. This week a number of patients found their way to my office because they felt that they weren’t being treated with respect in our public health care system. They had concerns about their body, energy, appearance that were being written off as minor. One patient actually had Lyme disease for years but was improperly diagnosed leading to a life threatening bout of depression. I never want any of my patients to suffer without getting the care they deserve. Here’s what to do when you have a problem that’s falling on a physician’s deaf ears.
I’m a recovering commitment-phobe. Social plans, boyfriends, health care providers – if it required a solid commitment I was wary.
Choosing a ND is a commitment. You are spending time, money and effort to feel better.
A woman and her weight. Has there ever been a more tumultuous relationship? Before beginning my EVOLVE program I didn’t realize that it was common for a woman to think about her weight every single day, and sometimes multiple times per day. And for a select few women it was in the back of their mind almost all day.
Two weeks ago I woke up like any other morning, checked out my slightly puffy morning face in the mirror and realized my skin had literally exploded. Like a pepperoni pizza on steroids my skin was covered in acne. Immediately I sprung into naturopathic investigation mode. Why oh why was I reverting back to pubescent days needing clearasil and astringent?
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. The majority, 99% of it, is found in bone. The remaining 1% has the important job of regulating the relaxation of our blood vessels, helping us secrete insulin and assisting with muscle contraction. All vital to our well being!
I always tout the benefits of keeping things simple in order to reduce daily stress. However, when I opened my practice two years ago and decided to practise in two locations, I neglected to take my own advice. So, in the spirit of not being a hypocrite, I have decided to work full-time at my Pickering location.